Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Yet another project??

As if I didn't already have enough on my plate, I started yet another project. This one is a platform for my workshop, on which I will place a wood stove. The platform is relatively simple...2x4 construction covered with plywood. But I want a notched front because this will be placed in a corner, thus the platform will be 5 sided. Once constructed, I will cover it with tile backer board and tile (Mexican "Saltillo" tile).

Started the framing at lunchtime. Decided to make it a square first, then add "blocking" for strength. Before attaching the plywood I will lay a diagonal line across one corner, cut that out with a sawzall, then fix it up with 2x4 material. Beats figuring out all the angles and lengths ahead of time. Of course, I made the required mistake! But luckily I erred in making two sides TOO long. Since I am using drywall screws for construction, I was able to disassemble and correct the error. I currently have a 4 foot by 4 foot square frame. Before cutting the notched 5th side I need to check the manual for the woodstove to make sure I am following the codes for required clearances to walls. If the weather stays as warm for awhile after dark, I may be able to have the frame done and plywood attached.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home