Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Boat bookcase 6

Continuing on...

I decided to decorate the top edge (which will really be the front edge) with 3/4 inch rope, rather than solid wood. This edge is curved and it would be too much trouble to make solid wood edging for it. But in order to attach the rope I needed a 3/4 inch edge, so I glued a thin strip of 1/4 inch plywood to the edge. Here you see a short pice of rope set on the edge, as a test.


At the bow I made a sort of boomerang shaped piece, to add more boat-like detailing. To do this I glued up 3 pieces of 1/4 inch plywood into a rectangular plank (I didn't have any 3/4 inch big enough), laid it in place and traced it with a pencil. Then cut it on the bandsaw, glued and nailed it on, then sanded to exact size. Two things you can see in this picture is how the rope will come "up to" this boomerang piece, and that the plywood shelves will need solid wood edging equal to the thickness of the boomerang.


And I got busy painting. First, 3.5 hours of applying primer/sealer to the entire boat. Then I started on the outer hull with blue, at the suggestion of Cheryl, 15 months ago. I had only about a half can of spray paint and applied a few thin coats on each side. You can still see white through it, BUT I am intending to make it look weathered, so this should be sufficient. Next will be to start painting the interior...plain white. And I will mill up some solid wood for the plywood edges.

3 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, June 03, 2008, Blogger EZ Travel said...

OMG, this is too cool. I am very impressed.

 
At 10:28 AM, June 04, 2008, Blogger cheryl said...

Hey, I think it is looking great. Great job on bringing all those projects to a close. You'll have to come up with some new ones.

but wait.... you needed to complete those tables for your living room.

 
At 10:40 AM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Tim B. said...

The unfinished list is still long and does not contain anything that is unstarted. There are PLENTY of things unstarted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home