Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Puzzle Box update

I started to make a "puzzle box" out of scraps of wood. This would be a project that I wanted my son to see start to finish. It's a simple project and demonstrates several steps. It has sparked my son's interest. When he is with me he asks if we can work on the puzzle box.

To make this I glue laminated 5 pieces of various woods about 6 inches long by 4 inches wide. When cured, I sanded all the sides and ends. The process to cut the box is precise. Cut off a thin slice of the bottom (which will be glued back on later). Cut out a "key" which will hold the top in place. Cut out the top of the box. Hollow out the middle. Sand all parts. Glue the bottom back on. Apply finish.

Well, I got out of sequence and did the hollowing before cutting off the top. The piece was ruined. I was in a hurry and got careless. I was disappointed, but it turned out to be a good lesson for my son...don't hurry, take your time and read the instructions. So, I told him I would make up another "block" and get to the same point by the next time he visits me. Last night I glued up the block and today I did some sanding. Piece of cake to get to the same point before Jan 22. Will take more time and not skip grits when sanding.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home