Friday, March 25, 2005

Office progress

My son and I painted the lower part of the office. It took two coats for the dark paint to completely cover the yellow walls. The room looks so nice now, but there are several things that still need to be done.

My son removed the masking tape and helped me to sand and paint the roughly primed chair rail moldings. Later I put a second coat of paint on them and they are now ready to install. That was a few days ago and we both wanted to just relax and take it easy.

To install the moldings I intend to build two self standing "dead men". These will be 2x4s, notched to fit around the baseboards, screwed to a plywood base, and cut to length such that the top will be at the height where the bottom of the chair rail will go. Since I don't have a laser level, nor do I want to put marks on the walls, these will act as third and fourth hands to hold pieces of molding in place at the correct height as I nail them off. Cutting molding is usually not a problem for me, just time consuming. I am considering bringing my miter saw right into the room to eliminate trips to and from the garage as I cut and install the molding. I suppose for neatness I can hook up a shop vac to it.

The chair rail molding should be all done tomorrow, and then I need to do some baseboard touchups and fix a broken closet door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home