Tuesday, March 28, 2006

JP's pen

Jean Pierre is out of school for today and tomorrow. I took 2 vacation days so we could spend time together. We had some fun in the workshop. He turned his first pen, walnut, on the lathe. He rounded the parts, then I gave him a little instruction on shaping the barrels. I helped out a little there because curves take some practice. After that he sanded and I helped remove sanding scratches. He polished it and applied the finish and we pressed the parts together. It's a really pretty pen and he is so pleased with it.







The proud lathe man and his creation...yep, he's a lefty.



For myself, I spent a little time looking through some poplar firewood for the whitest of pieces for making more chessmen. So far there are 3 pieces done. I found a piece of wood that should yield 3 more chessmen. So I need to find wood for 10 more chessmen somewhere. Unfortunately my firewood has been laying around a little long so it is deteriorating. But it really is amazing to cut into a hunk of crappy looking firewood and see beautiful, useable wood inside. Like finding a pearl inside an ugly oyster.

6 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, March 28, 2006, Blogger Sean M. said...

I have been looking at the past couple of posts, and everything looks so cool! I wish I had a hand-maid writing utensil...hint hint... J/K

Oh, and by the way, you are so punny with your "ants" joke...hardy har har... And I agree that the smell of the Cinnabon is more enticing than the taste, as I didn't get to finish the entire thing. TTYL!

 
At 9:12 PM, March 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought the first thing made by anybody was done using sucker sticks. Machine tools were way down the list, being saved for when a person actually had some talent.

 
At 10:35 PM, March 28, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

I have a plan for teaching him how to use the lathe. Each lesson has a project.

1. Turn a cylinder. The cylinder IS the project...a bonker.
2. Turn two smaller cylinders, then shape a sweeping curve. The cylinders are the project and become a pen.
3. Practice outside curves (beads), inside curves (coves), and grooves on a throw away piece. The project will be to turn a one piece hand mallet.
4. Same as 3 but with more detail. I believe we will turn a "Harry Potter wand."
5. Practice hollowing a piece held in a chuck. The project will be a small lidded ring box.

From that point he should have enough experience to do quite a few things...practicing whenever.

 
At 10:32 AM, March 29, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

you are kidding me---
JP, a 10 year old kid, made that pen? You have got to be the coolest dad ever.

 
At 1:56 PM, March 29, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

That is absolutely amazing. Jackson will have to settle for pretend pens made out of popsicle sticks (we try to avoid suckers).

I, too, liked your "ants" comment.

 
At 8:51 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

I second Paulette's remark.
GOOG GOING, J.P. !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home