Monday, March 13, 2006

Part 4 of coopering, with pictures.

Getting closer to done.

Making the bottom:
I set the barrel down on a piece of wood, reached inside, and traced the inside profile onto the wood. Then I took that to the bandsaw and cut it to the line. the piece fit like a glove. I tapped it in place with a 1/4 inch inset and nailed it in place. The nail holes will be covered later with the simulated hoops.


Making the top:
1. I measured the top of the barel at it's widest point on the outside edge and added 1/4 inch for overhang. Then I set a compass to half that and drew a circle on a piece of wood. I presed hard on the compass point to mark the center. This I drilled and put a screw through the center point so just a little of the point stuck out. Then, on my bandsaw circle table I drilled a matching center point hole. I put the screw tip into the hole, turned on the bandsaw, and turned the piece to cut the perfect circle.


2. Next I mounted that circle to a face plate on my lathe. I measured the smallest diameter inside the top of the barrel and set that up on a caliper. I turned down HALF of the "top disc" until the caliper fit. Then I sanded it with a nice roundover.


Making the knob:
I took a block of wood and turned a nice little knob and fastened that to the top.


With that, the woodworking construction is done. Now I need to sand, stain, and make the simulated hoops. For sake of a picture I drew circles with a Sharpie Marker to give a vague idea of two of the 4 hoops.

Finally, I had a little time last night to make a burlap bag as a liner. I bought a small piece of burlap and some upholstery thread. I measured and cut a piece off. Then I folded over a flap and stiched that in place. That made the "tunnel" where a "closure string" goes. I folded the "bag" in half lengthwise and stitched the two cut ends. Then I turned it inside out and threaded a new, short nylon shoelace through the tunnel. It turned out better than I could have hoped for and on the first try. I put the bag in the barrel and test-filled it with the coffee beans. There was only a small amount of the one pound remaining in the paper bag after filling up the burlap bag.



Awesome! Almost done!

1 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Tim, Where did you learn about all of this stuff that you make? I, for one, think that all of this knowledge you are imparting is wasted on me. I believe that you should teach a wood-working class somewhere that there would be students who could put all your tricks of the trade to good use.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home