Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The last of the nasty gumballs !

He finally did it. The guy across the street cut down a large gum tree that is near the street. For a few years I had been hoping that he would cut that tree down. It drops nasty spiky balls that hit the street and end up in my yard. It isn't my business to ask someone to cut down a tree unless it is unhealthy and threatens my property. So I was ecstatic when I drove home the other day and saw that tree down. When it came down the balls flew all over and there are many in my driveway that need to be swept up, but that is the last of them.

By the way, this is the neighbor of the "trouble brewing" posts. Over the years he has done a lot to improve property value. Of course the other neighbors will now bitch about how the limbs from that tree extend into the street until the city trucks come to pick them up. Never mind the fact that this guy is increasing their property value too.

4 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, December 12, 2006, Blogger cheryl said...

I am so happy for you to be rid of those gumballs (or as Cindy puts it gumshoes). When you clean the last of them up you will enjoy the next few years without them. Then you will forget that it was ever there.

We had a neighbor who had them in his yard. They were on the property line to our yard. So you can guess how many we had. We used to make a game of it to see who could fill a bucket the fastest or make a game of bucket toss. Kind of like basket ball with these cute little spiney things and a garbage bucket. As you, we were so happy when he finally cut them down. It was very nice to be able to walk around the yard without twisting an ankle.

Three cheers for Tim's neighborhood.

 
At 4:03 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger Marcel said...

when you do finally get over and talk to that guy, please wear a tape recorder so that you can clue us on what he says and what he is like.

 
At 10:33 AM, December 13, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

I collected a 5 gallon (drywall compound) bucket of spiky gumballs. Was talking about it to a lady friend of mine. She said that she invented "SWEET GUMBALLS!!" as an alternative to cussing.

What can you do with 5 gallons of these things? Well, I thought that I would feed them a handful or two at a time into my fireplace. My friend thought she may enjoy string them up, spray painting, and decorating a Christmas tree, or making a wreath out of them.

Stay tuned.

 
At 10:00 AM, December 20, 2006, Blogger cheryl said...

I have seen them spray painted silver and gold. They do make a pretty decoration. The fireplace is the best location for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home