Monday, April 20, 2009

My second lighthouse

Howdy,

For the weekend I went to the Outer Banks. It was only the second time I have been out to the NC coast in 20 years of living in North Carolina. The first time was cold and rainy, but this past weekend was absolutely beautiful.

While there, a trip was made to the Currituck lighthouse. This was the second lighthouse I climbed in my 48 years.
Click here for the website.

The first lighthouse I climbed was a handful of years ago, near Daytona Beach/New Smyrna Beach, FL. That one is the Ponce DeLeon Inlet lighthouse, which is Florida's tallest.
Click here for the website.

Look at those two lighthouses...see any similarity? To me they look very similar. I believe the Ponce Inlet one is painted "terra cotta", but at a casual glance this could be just taken for natural brick color. The Currituck lighthouse is natural brick...no paint.

The weather was beautiful. Perfect blue sky and probably in the mid 70's. I could post pictures, but there are better ones aleady available online.

Of note, I felt less secure at the top of the Currituck lighthouse. I've never had a fear of heights, but certainly a respect for being careful at altitude. For some reason, thoughts kept entering my head of slipping and going through or over the railing. And I was thinking about younger children going up there too, and not acting in a safe manner. Glad to be on the ground. But I do want to visit and climb more lighthouses. Would love to visit Cape Hatteras now.

9 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, April 20, 2009, Blogger Sean M. said...

Hey, I remember that lighthouse in Florida! I can't remember exactly how many steps we had to climb, but I think there were several hundreds of them. If I recall, though, when we went it was raining...and the car trip was spent trying to stump you with "name that opera." :-D

 
At 4:29 PM, April 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert and I just visited a lighthouse in Key West. I enjoyed the history and tour of the living quarters. I didn't even make it halfway up the actual lighthouse. I stayed on the ground and took pictures of Robert at the top. I admire your ability to understand and even imagine the possible dangers and not let that translate to fear.
Tracy

 
At 4:51 PM, April 20, 2009, Blogger Tim B. said...

Oh, guess I forgot that Cheryl and I went with you and Ryan to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse. So that really makes twice that I have been to it and to the top. I will ignore that in my lifetime count, since it was a repeat.

As I recall, the "stumping" was more classical music in general than opera. We were going off a CD that Cheryl had, I believe, which contained excerpts from what that company considered was the 100 best of all time Classical Music pieces. Subjective. No WAY I could have gotten more than a few right if it was just opera. Anyway, that was a fun little trip.

 
At 12:49 AM, April 21, 2009, Blogger Sean M. said...

Ok, so you were right about the CD, but we were still impressed with your knowledge (wisdom?) about the subject.

And yes, that was a really fun trip. Can't believe you almost forgot about it... That's what I'm here for, though!

 
At 8:21 PM, April 23, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to see more lighthouses come visit us in Wisconisin. There are many on the shore of Lake Michigan. Although I haven't been there yet, one of them is in the city where Kelly lives. Speaking of music and lighthouses do you remember the song about Whitefish Bay? Whitefish Bay is just north of Milwaukee. What was the name of the song?
(Dawn)

 
At 8:23 PM, April 23, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction - the song wasn't about Whitefish Bay it just mentions it in the song.
(Dawn)

 
At 9:22 PM, April 23, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Gordon Lightfoot's 'Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald' Whitefish Bay was inserted as a destination because it was more lyrical that the actual destination.....Zug Island.


za

 
At 10:14 AM, April 24, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song came to mind immediately, even though I don't think I have ever really listened to all the lyrics.

Tim (not logged in)

 
At 9:37 PM, May 01, 2009, Blogger patb said...

Who the hell is za anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home