Monday, March 23, 2009

What a relief!

I've been fighting lower back pain for several days. I believe it was Tuesday that I woke up and things didn't feel right. On Wednesday I called to get a chiropractor appointment for Thursday. They were able to squeeze me in. I got the adjustment, but the muscles have been so sore and only gradually feeling better. Last night I was able to get in and out of my car without it being a painful experience.

Why am I telling you this? Because I figured out a way to decompress my spine without getting an inversion table. I was thinking of getting one, but they cost about $200, even at "Play It Again Sports".

At another sporting goods store I saw a piece of fitness equipment that is pretty standard in gyms. It is a tall "stand". On it there are pads for your forearms and handles to grip. There is also a pad for pushing your back into. You stand on some small steps while you set up your upper body. Then you get off those and do knee raises. The whole lower body hangs free and you support yourself with just the forearms. I got on that and felt some relief and was walking better after. So I "made" something similar without really making anything.

I simply set up my sawhorses in the garage. Before I leave the house and when I get back I get between them, squat down, and put my forearms on the horses. Then I either raise my legs or just take most of the weight off the lower body and let the spine decompress. Just a few seconds is all it takes...sort of like being on the parallel bars but using forearms instead of hands. That and cold packs for about 10 minutes a couple times a day have really helped. And I didn't have to spend a dime nor build anything.

Now, the real problem is that I haven't been working out! I need to get well and do some exercising to stay well.

Hope you're well.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, March 23, 2009, Blogger Sean M. said...

Wow, you are really churning out the blogs lately! I need to start catching up...

Oh and you mentioned something about horses in your post... Descartes joke anyone??? :-D

 
At 10:05 AM, March 23, 2009, Blogger patb said...

Boy do I know what that pain is all about, my low back is always in pain, and both sciatic nerves are being pinched. The chiropractor helps a little, but it is also a pain going to her every week. What I may need is a couple of horses. (For me to poop on) I do feel bad for you and pray that it's gets better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home