Sunday, November 30, 2008

Still Employed!

Greetings,

I have completed 2 weeks with the new company. There is a LOT to learn and there is a lot of business. I am the new kid on the block, but it is amazing that MANY of the people that work near me have been there a year or less.

They all speak the acronyms of the employee benefits world (LTD, STD, LOA, QMSCO, etc). These are all things I need to learn. However, I do understand databases, and this is a business that is rich in databases. Already I have demonstrated the ability to remap a data stream and import data, and I was tasked with creating a couple of simple queries that needed to be done for a some analysis.

One of my coworkers has been there about 8 months. He, like me, was laid off from an IT job, then came to work for this company. He does pretty well after 8 months and thinks it will take a year or more to be pretty proficient in the company. And he knew nothing about the benefits world either.

Got my first pay check on Friday (auto deposit). Sure, it is lower than what I was making, but is MUCH better than unemployment. I think I can even put money away like before, though not as much per payday.

3 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, December 01, 2008, Blogger John Beauregard said...

Congratulations on the new job. With your technical background and attitude I am confident you will do well. Sounds like a growing business.

 
At 6:31 PM, December 02, 2008, Blogger Marcel said...

Glad to hear this, keep it up.

 
At 4:21 PM, December 08, 2008, Blogger Marcel said...

Another thought. Taking a pay cut is only temporary, if you were truly worth it someplace you will be worth it there. It only takes time.

Also, be careful what you say about others. Your sense of humor could get you into needless trouble. Those devoid of humor take a dislike to persons with humor, no matter how well intentioned. Everyone there was hired by someone, sometimes the reason was nepotism but you will not know who they are. Be very careful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home