Thursday, May 26, 2005

Mellissafiers

I have a bee problem. It is swarm season and some bees decided that an area behind some of my vinyl siding makes a perfect location for them. On Sunday I heard and then saw a large number of bees at a corner of the house. Never saw them before, so that's new.

I called the Cooperative Extension and they gave me some phone numbers of beekeepers (mellissafiers...Greek root...see apiarist). One guy came out. Older guy. Very friendly. He said he thought he could remove the bees alive, but admitted that he is old and retired and asked that I call some younger guys first. Then he gave me a list he had written out. How nice! He said to please try these guys first, and if they're too busy or don't want to do it, call him back.

So, the next step is to call the others. So far, nobody answers the phone, but they must have day jobs and do beekeeping off hours. So I will call in the evening. Need to do it soon, though, because as these bees start making honey and more bees it may become a much bigger job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home