Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Wonderful Christmas

Got home last night after a nice 4 days with family. In the beginning JP said he didn't want to go to Atlanta and was crying. I just know that his mother brought about that feeling. But we went anyway and he had a wonderful time. There were a few times where he was cranky, stubborn, and selfish but we worked through it. The highlight, for me, was when he made a sacrifice of his desires for everyone else's.

JP had made a deal with his grandma Pat and Aunt Debbie that Christmas gifts were going to be opened on Christmas Eve. That was when the ladies did not know that JP and I could stay until late afternoon on Christmas Day. So a change was made. That did not sit well with him. After much debate he made the sacrifice. All of his aunts, uncles, and grandparents praised him for such a mature decision and it brought tears to his eyes. I was so proud of him because it was such a big step. Unfortunately, to this point, his mother continues to treat him like he is her little baby, but he will be 12 in a few weeks. Trying to get him to act more mature has been a huge struggle.

Later on, in the car, I praised him again and discussed the tenet of "it's better to give than receive." He had heard it, but never felt it. So I explained that the feeling he had when he gave up his selfishness for the others was so much better than any other gift he would receive. He told me how that made him feel good but cry, and I asked "when have you ever gotten [a toy] that made you feel like that?" Never.

Anyway, on Christmas Day JP "played Santa"...passing out gifts to everyone. I believe that he really enjoyed family that day. We had a wonderful brunch but it was all over too soon.

On a selfish note, I had made and brought a box full of pens for each person to choose from. That went over well and I was very pleased. Interestingly, I had made many of them from a cherry tree from my yard, yet the ones that all "disappeared quickly" were from more exotic woods like purple heart, sakura, teak, and blue keiyaki. Go figure.

I have JUST ordered the parts that will be used for NEXT years gifts and will get started in the workshop as early as possible. Not saying what the gifts will be, but I'm making about 20.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I know I did.
Love,
Tim (and JP)

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, December 28, 2006, Blogger cheryl said...

I believe this year JP had the true feeling of Christmas. For his selfless act of agreeing for everyone to open gifts on Christmas Day instead of Christmas Eve, everyone showed him how much they truly love and care for him (with all the love poured over him with hugs and kisses). I believe he was a little sad, however in the end a very happy (inside) young man.
I think he learned a little more about what Christmas is all about and that his patience was worth the wait. I don't believe I have seen him laugh and have so much fun. I think he enjoyed playing the Santa and passing out all the gifts for everyone else to open. When it came time for him to open a gift....well it was great to see him soooo... happy, and laughing sooooo hard.
Tim, I enjoy my pen. What a wonderful gift. Something crafted from your own hand.....Beautiful... Thank you for coming down it was a great visit.

 
At 2:43 PM, January 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just remembered after reading your blog that my pen in the 70's was teak wood. Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home