Monday, November 03, 2008

While I still have time...part 1

I spent this afternoon working on a shop project. I have been wanting to install a wood stove in the corner to the left of the lathe. A couple of years ago I bought the woodstove and built the platform, 4 ft by 4 ft with a "clipped" corner that will parallel the face of the woodstove (placed 45 degrees on the platform). Then I put this project on the back burner, but have thought about it a lot over the years.

A friend recently gave me some cement hexagon tiles that will be great for this application, so now before it gets too cold (and I go back to full time work) I'd like to get the platform finished and the stove sitting on top. I may not actually hook it up this year, but don't know that for sure.

Picture 1 shows the platform after I moved junk off of it.


Picture 2 shows the "dry laying" of the cement backer board.


Picture 3 shows all the backer board cut and installed...those vertical pieces took a long time.


Picture 4 shows a VERY rough layout of the cement tiles, which are terra cotta colored.


Coming up:
I will put tiles along the vertical edges first, then the platform tiles will lay on top of those cut edges, perhaps overhanging by just a smidgen. My friend loaned me a wet saw, so cutting will be dust free and should be accurate. I have used it before, when I tiled the laundry room.

1 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, November 05, 2008, Blogger Marcel said...

To me, it appears that the walls will be very close to the stove. Isn't there a required free space between the stove and wood walls?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home