Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The World on the Moon, etc.

Last weekend was such a treat. It started Friday night with a fun little opera called “il mondo della luna” or “The World on the Moon.” I don’t know if I have blogged here about our School of the Arts, but it is a school of very talented young people. Someone recently told me that they shot some of the footage for the movie “Fame” here. This opera is by Haydn (I didn’t even know he wrote opera). It is about a young scientist who tricks a man into believing he has been transported to the moon, all to win the hand of the man’s daughter. Act 2 takes place “on the moon” which is really the decorated backyard of the young scientist. He uses a couple of friends, who are themselves interested in the man’s other daughter and chambermaid, in his trickery. Wonderful farce and humor are throughout. If you ever get a chance to see this opera, do. The person who did the translation and made the English supertitles took some modern liberties…one of which cracked a lot of people up…”resistance is futile”…spoken by one if the “moon” people.

Playing the part of one of the daughters was Jodi Burns. No, you haven’t heard of her, but I am making a prediction that you may one day. She is an absolutely lovely young lady with a beautiful voice and great stage appeal. I saw her last month playing the role of Adina in Donizetti’s “L’elisir d’Amore” and she was just wonderful. I spoke with her parents (then and now), who were visiting from Ohio for the performance, and they said she just took third place in a competition at New York’s Met. She will be graduating from the School of the Arts soon, and I believe she will take the opera stage by storm. Last month I met them in the audience by chance, having sat directly in front of them, and we chatted during intermission. This time we actually bumped into each other at a pizza place that is open late…what a coincidence.

Continuing on for the weekend, I spent Saturday in Blowing Rock, NC. What a nice place to visit. The weather was very nice and I walked the main street, stepping in at various stores up and down, and eating lunch at “Kojay’s”. They have a web site. Later on I drove a little way along the Blue Ridge Parkway and took a half hour hike to some rushing water (cascades). That walk reminded me of some trails in the Florida Everglades, in that there were markers placed to assist in identifying various plants and trees. I learned that the Hemlock tree grows in groups and always very close to water. Yup, sure enough, once I knew what one looked like I could see them all along the water.

Sunday I spent HOURS on my first ever trip to IKEA. There is a new one near Charlotte, roughly a 1.5 hour drive from the house. This store is amazing and I thought there were a number of great home ideas and great prices. BUT I am not sold on revamping my house just because I can. Everything has a decidedly European flair and after a little while I was easily overlooking things. I purchased a few things though. A step stool that took me 30 minutes to assemble, a couple of glass vases, some bamboo placemats, a 4 bottle wine rack that mounts on a wall, and a neat little lantern for burning tea candles. I used one of the vases to transfer a “lucky bamboo” plant that was given to me a couple of years ago…it was alive and green, but not growing well in the smaller container. Now it has a lot more room and still looks lovely. Will take a picture sometime soon.

All in all, it was a good weekend. I just wish it didn’t have to end.

3 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, May 13, 2009, Blogger Marcel said...

You did not mentioned that talking to your Mom was an additional compensation.

Congratulations on facing up to the fact that you can buy cheaper than making. It was not too long ago that you would have been telling us you saw a step stool and decided to make it yourself. Extra pleasing, purchasing a wine rack even though you are capable of making them, and have made them not too long ago. My boy is maturing and I am pleased.

 
At 10:41 AM, May 14, 2009, Anonymous patfixer@charter.net said...

Without mentioning, we had a very nice conversation on Mother's day and it was well appreciated. I love you Tim.

As far as making things, it is without saying, how wonderful it makes you feel when you can say, "I did this all by my self"

You are QUITE a wonderful person and I am proud to call you mine.

 
At 3:24 PM, May 14, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Tim (not signed in):

Gosh, I am being given too much credit for maturing.

I would LOVE to have made these things. Woodworking and home improvements are hobbies that enjoy and will continue to do.

Personally, I do not need much of a wine rack. The ones I have made are something along the lines of storing 20 or more bottles. The one I bought maxes out at 4. That is all I need.

I once had a step stool that I made for myself. Someone took it when she decided to clean out about half my house. I do have one of those metal folding ones that sits in the back of a hall closet. But when I want something on the top shelf of a bedroom closet, I am inconvenienced. SO this cheap one stays right there where I need it. Could have made it myself. Wanted to. Just have so many other things to do.

(If I had a glass furnace and experience, I would have loved to have blown the glass vases myself.)

Tim (not signed in)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home