Thursday, October 08, 2009

CDs and MP3s

When CDs were first being developed, it was a design requirement that they be able to play at least 72 minutes of music. Why? Because some big-wig knew that Beethoven’s 9th Symphony was that long and he desired to hear it uninterrupted...not having to flip over a cassette or record album.

There was no MP3 compression format at the time. One could not “burn” one’s own CDs.

Today, I put a CD into my computer here at work. It contains ALL NINE Beethoven symphonies. I “ripped” them from the originals that I purchased many years ago, and “burned” them in MP3 format to the single CD.

Later I may add up the total play time of all 9, but don’t have the stats right now. But I looked at the CD using “My Computer” and “Properties”. The disc is not even HALF full. Close...335MB used, 345MB free. This CD will last for several HOURS of music at work without needing to change the CD.

The guy in the office next to me listens to an iPod every day. I know that they can store a TON of music, however, once filled up you’re stuck. What if you want to hear something that isn’t in your iPod memory? You need to make room by getting rid of something else.

I love classical music and have gotten spoiled by the CD. I rarely play them anymore because they run out too quickly (not all are 72 minutes) and I need to go change CDs. Yes, I know they make CD changers that hold many CDs, but I am somewhat of a cheapskate.

What I need to do is start making my own compilation CDs, in MP3 format, of favorite music so that I can listen for many hours without needing to change out a CD. Rip and Burn on my newly upgraded home PC will be speedy. In fact, I can use the PC to play the CDs, my office laptop PC can play them, and the car can play them. No need to buy anything! More to come.

7 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, October 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful, I am surprised you can play music at work. You have always been so good at doing, making and being a genious in what ever you do.

Mom

 
At 12:20 AM, October 09, 2009, Blogger Sean M. said...

The program iTunes that comes with iPods allows you to have as many songs as you can fit on your hard drive. You don't have to put those songs on your iPod, and I don't think you even need to HAVE an iPod. I have both iTunes and an iPod and I rarely use the iPod. If I want to listen to my music, I like to just open iTunes and turn on the shuffle. That way you don't have to worry about changing CDs out or filling up an iPod or other MP3 player.

BUT, since you are a cheapskate, I'm sure there are iTunes analogs that come with the cheaper brands of MP3 players :-D

 
At 8:41 AM, October 10, 2009, Blogger EZ Travel said...

I too have loaded all of my CDs in iTunes (I never buy any songs) at my office. All songs fall into one two playlists--Christmas or "Everything Else." Christmas will run for 16.5 hours (I love just putting it on shuffle for the whole season) and Everything Else 1.8 days (2.5GB). Luckily they all fit on my iPhone, but then I don't have nearly as many CDs as Lyle.

Lyle only loads up what he wants to listen to. He burns mixed CDs if he wants to listen in the car, but mostly he will load up a selection into his iPod nano and play it through the stereo, or carry it while he runs. This is much better than any re-recordable CD since you can use it an infinite number of times.

 
At 1:29 PM, October 10, 2009, Blogger Marcel said...

I would be interested in an MP3 if I was confidant that I would be able to adjust the speed of the music. During my classes I adjust the speed for about 130-136 BPM to match what the class is able to do. Too fast and there is a risk of overheating, too slow and some people are not chalanged enough.

 
At 7:25 AM, October 11, 2009, Blogger EZ Travel said...

Uncle Marcel, isn't it the special receiver that lets you make that adjustment? I have seen our instructors come in with a CD, put it in, and then adjust it. If that is the case you could plug your MP3 into the receiver and adjust the same way.

I have only seen those kinds of systems in health clubs and other places of exercise.

 
At 4:08 PM, October 13, 2009, Blogger Marcel said...

Erika, I have talked to some people that use an MP3 and they say they can't adjust the speed. However, because of your note, I am going to look into it further.

 
At 4:51 PM, October 22, 2009, Blogger Marcel said...

I have just checked a studio player and found that the one we have will not change the speed of an MP3. We may have a cheapo version. Most of the time the MP3 feature is used by the ladies that teach Yoga and Pilates. Their slow music never needs changing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home