Monday, August 08, 2005

"Let there be light !"

And there was light.
Went to Home Depot and got a new socket for the lamp described below. I went home and wired it in and it DID NOT WORK !!! Huh???

There are 3 possibilities.
1. Bad socket. How could I have TWO bad sockets by chance? Not likely.
2. Bad wire or connections or wire connection to the socket. How possible is it that there is a bad wire when it came fresh off a roll of NEW wire? And I was 100% sure I wired it to the socket correctly.
3. Bad wire connection to the plug. Well, I THOUGHT I did it correctly last night, but when I double checked, the wire was inserted into the connector backward. I had reversed the polarity. So I reversed the wire in the plug. Plugged it in and the lamp came on immediately !!

Problem solved!!

So, I put a regular old lamp shade on it temporarily. Now I need to do the decorating touch ups described below. But I have a working floor lamp...the first I ever made myself!!!

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, August 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tim:

Looks like you are just moving right along.

Everything will look great when you are through.

Love,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home