Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Flame on!

I got the fire going. While that is being fed there are other things to be done.

The weather is definitely cooler. I had thought I might be able to have my workshop wood stove operational this year. It needs to be on a fireproof platform. Early this year I built the platform out of 2x4s and plywood. But it needs cement backer board and tile. Today I bought the backer board. I've never used it before, but the man at Home Depot assured me that I could cut it if I had experience cutting drywall (and I have).

The platform is 4ft by 4ft with a "clipped corner." I did that because I am going to put the stove in a corner and place it diagonally to look nice. The front of the stove will be parallel to the clipped corner. Backer board comes in 3x5 sheets, so I needed two sheets. Because I am going to tile the front edges of the platform I don't expect to have much scrap backer board.

The tiles I intend to put in are called "Saltillos". These are thick, irregular, hand made Mexican tiles. I'm going for mass. The more insulation against the heat, the better. The stove was a great find. I saw it in a secondhand store, marked for $150. It looked almost new. The salesperson told me it had a broken, but repaired leg and said she'd take $75 for it. SOLD! The leg broke again on the way home. I did a little research and found that the stove sells new for about $1200. It was a few years old and in almost new condition except for the leg. Welding cast iron is iffy at best. I found a dealership and ordered a replacement leg...cost $25 (at worst I could have put a piece of threaded rod in place to act as a leg). I left the stove under a tarp on my trailer for too many days and humidity caused a lot of surface rust. Last year I took to it with a drill and wire brushes and got it almost rust free.

I doubt that I will have the stove operational this year. But I hope to have the tiling done, the stove set in place, and all rust cleaned off this year. Then all I'll need is flue pipe and a chimney (couple hundred dollars). By this time NEXT year my workshop should be nice and toasty.

3 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, October 18, 2005, Blogger paulette said...

With all that talk of tiles and taking the rust off I was sure it was for your living room. All that just to warm up your workshop. Are you one of those Beauregards whose workplace is as clean and neat at their living rooms.

 
At 9:22 PM, October 18, 2005, Blogger Adrienne said...

Hi Tim! Grandpa Beauregard would be very proud to work in your workshop I am sure!

 
At 7:48 AM, October 19, 2005, Blogger Tim B. said...

Hey there!

It's so nice to hear from family members. Thanks for visiting and leaving the comments.

I only WISH my workshop was clean and neat. I have this habit of using tools and cutting things, then not taking the extra few minutes to put them away.

I would love to have Grandpa Beauregard come and help me organize my shop. From what I remember he had a place for everything and put them in their places.

But I do have a friend who is in the clutter cleaning business. She is going to swap labor with me. She'll clean and organize my shop and I am going to cut down 2 trees for her. Will take before and after pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home