Sunday, September 25, 2005

Weekend update

On Friday I went to a football game. Some friends of mine have kids in the band. The football team is now something like 0-5, but this game they scored a few times and it was a much closer game. The school is brand new this year, so there is a big lack of experience. The marching band isn't really even marching yet. I've been to 3 games thus far. This game the band actually marched ONTO the field. I understand that their leader is well respected and is phasing things in because there is not one kid in the band that has been in a marching band before.

I spent several hours on Saturday installing concrete edgers along the sidewalk. Some of you may recall this from months ago (May, 2005). I did one side of the walk in May. It was uncomfortable then, so I put off the other side until now. This picture is from back in May and you can see that I set the edgers on the right side on top of the sidewalk. Along with this installation I trimmed back the shrubs. The walkway looks very nice now, but I need to rethink the plantings. Those shrubs just get too big.


On Sunday, I tidied up the house a good deal, filled some holes in the backyard with dirt, and started back working on burning a big pile of yard debris. This is done safely in a circle of granite stones that I laid down. I move handfuls of debris to the fire, sit and read, and repeat.

2 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, September 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The walkway looks great. You are right, those big plants have to go, to much to keep up with. You need low bushes, that do not grow too fast Possibly like holly bushes.

That's interesting about the bamboo, I'm sure the neighbors wondered what that noise was, I would.

I thought you didn't like football, and you went to three games already?

Mom

 
At 1:32 PM, September 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on the walkway. Cut that stuff out of there and get dwarf everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home