Sunday, December 04, 2005

It was a Great woodworking weekend

Wow, I got a lot accomplished on the ******s I am making. They are made of sycamore and cherry. All of the sycamore has been milled, cut to size, and glued up. All of the cherry has been milled, cut to size, and by tomorrow night will be glued up. I made the cherry parts just a hair small so that the sycamore, which goes inside, can be trimmed for an exact fit.

Then I set to work on 6 wine cork trivets. I took some short sections of poplar from my woodpile, then planed, jointed, rabbetted, and mitered them to length. All that's left is to assemble them.

I did not put the logsplitter back together. It's only a 20 minute job and I'll do it soon.

The date on Saturday was nice. The lovely lady, "Kim", is Asian (Vietnamese). She works with the wife of my friend Bryan. Bryan's wife, "Helen", is also Asian (Korean). We all went out for sushi. Kim doesn't like sushi but there were other cooked dishes as well. I learned how to say hello and goodbye in Vietnamese to be polite. She asked me if I could use chopsticks and I said yes. Then I proceeeded to pantomime whittling a chopstick to a point and stabbing food. Cracked her up. But then I demonstrated picking up a soy bean and she was impressed. The thing was she was very quiet. She had to leave at 9:15. At about 9:00 she started opening up. She asked me about my job and what I like to do. I told her I like woodworking and she said she would be interested in learning some. So that sounds like potential for a future get together. After Kim left Helen explained that Kim had been nervous all day long. She said that Asian women tend to be VERY shy in the beginning, and that she will open up with time. Fine by me. She's a nice lady. Non-smoker, non drinker, a couple of years younger than me. Pretty with a great smile. Need more time to get to know her, though.

4 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, December 05, 2005, Blogger Amanda said...

Uncle Tim;

Glad to hear things went well and that you enjoyed spending time with good friends. It keeps life interesting to be able to get out once in a while.

Amanda

 
At 10:54 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Adrienne said...

Tim, would you please mail me a postcard with something indicative to North Carolina? My fifth grade students are studying the 50 states and looking for postcards from as many as possible. Since I have family all over I am putting out my feelers and trying to reach as far as I can. The school info is Horace Mann Elementary 501 E. Acacia Avenue, Glendale, Ca. 91205. Thanks!

 
At 6:28 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger Adrienne said...

Were you a part of that terrible ice storm?

 
At 12:29 PM, December 21, 2005, Blogger Amanda said...

My mother loved the cork trivet you made her a few years ago for Christmas. She always thought that it was in interesting idea, and very well crafted. I can't wait to see pictures of the final product.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home