Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Chessmen update (no pictures yet)...updated!

Some of you wanted to know what the knights will look like. Well, I found some pictures that someone else made of the exact same chess set.
http://www.woodnheart.com/WC/turning/chess/lilac1.jpg
http://www.woodnheart.com/WC/turning/chess/lilac2.jpg
http://www.woodnheart.com/WC/turning/chess/ewalnut1.jpg
http://www.woodnheart.com/WC/turning/chess/ewalnut3.jpg

That fellow is a much better wood turner than I am !!



Excellent night last night for making chess men.
I made 3 pawns (which completes the 8 light side pawns) and 1 bishop (which completes the light bishops).

This morning I had some time before coming in to the office and was able to do about 2/3rds of the light king. Should easily finish that either over lunchtime or tonight.

And I prepared blocks for the light queen and the second light rook. I hope to be able to crank those out tonight.

That will leave the two light knights and the entire dark set. The knights for this chess set require a more complicated turning technique called "offset turning". They will not look like horses, but the offset will give them an elegant curve that will be a stylized horses neck. I am going to turn all the dark pieces before doing ANY of the knights. The 4 knights will be last.

Pictures soon.

6 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, April 11, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

I never thought about the knights. I, too, would leave them until last. I can't wait to see them.

 
At 5:15 PM, April 11, 2006, Blogger KathrynVH said...

I think if you made a big "H" we'd know it was a knight (horse, maybe not.)

 
At 5:21 PM, April 11, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Coming right along. Good job.
I hope the chess board will be worthy of these pieces.

 
At 6:06 PM, April 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering how the Knights were going to be done. offset turning? I don't know what that is but as long as you do I am sure it can be done.

 
At 12:16 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

I remember watching my dad turn a piece of wood with grooves and stuff. I think he was making a leg for a chair or something. It looked like so much fun. I'm adding that to my list of things i want to do in my next life. Right after Riverdancing.

 
At 4:44 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

In my next life I want to be a bird. I haven't decided which kind yet, but I want to soar the skies just like all the birds around the beach (and on my balcony). I don't mind as long as they don't poop on the railing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home