Sunday, September 24, 2006

Impressed with pocket screws

Whoever invented pocket screws was a genius and should be a multi-millionaire.

I have seen projects in magazines, such as bookcases, that are contructed entirely of joints held together by pocket screws. And I was skeptical. Until I was in a woodworkers supply store and came across a display of several scraps of wood held together in various configuraions by pocket screws. There was no glue used and the joints were strong and perfectly aligned. So I bought a kit.

In my previous entry I showed just a brief glimpse at pocket screws in my project. The frames went together quickly, perfectly, with no glue mess, and without having to fiddle with finicky hole drilling for dowels. Also no nail holes to fill.

After setting up the cabinet in a "dry fit" I stepped back and thought a while. You may have noticed in the diagrams that I didn't give any information for the cabinet "floor" and the back. That was because I wasn't actually sure HOW I wanted to do them even though I had plenty of options that would work just fine. Not sure that I can accurately describe what will be done but it will accomplish 3 goals:
1. It will use pocket screws.
2. It will be strong and have perfect alignment.
3. It will utilize smaller cutoff pieces of wood that had enough defect to keep them from making up the main frames. One often has a shop full of short pieces that are still too good to throw away.

This drawing helps me. Since making the drawing I have measured all the pieces, so the "K" parts are no longer in question.

1 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, September 25, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

I just found out that if I click on the picture it gets bigger and I can read all the detail. So I went back to the first pictures and checked them out. I find it all very fascinating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home