Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Getting wired

As I type this, my electrician friend is wiring the cyclone dust collector. A couple of years ago he came and put a subpanel into my shop and replaced the inadequate main panel in the garage, which feeds the house. The shop subpanel has plenty of capability for the shop and room for expansion. Now is the time for that expansion.

He is putting in a breaker that will run the "dc". It is a 220V, 30 amp motor (I think). He will run a single wire from the panel to the opposite wall and wire in a switch. Then the wire will go from the switch to the outlet. This will allow me to turn the unit on and off easily (but I still have to walk over to it...one day I will probably add a remote control). Finally, the motor needs a wire to plug into the outlet. I probably could have done all this myself, but don't want to make mistakes. With some reading I learned how to wire the motor. The wiring can be configured so the motor runs clockwise or counter clockwise...just switch the appropriate labeled wires and bingo. I left a little note up there for him indicating the direction that I think the motor should run. If he hooks it up and it runs the wrong way, it is only a matter of switching the wiring which I now know I can do myself if needed.

The switch box is huge. I thought it was going to be similar to a normal house light switch. Nope.

As soon as he leaves I will go take some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home