Thursday, December 28, 2006

Barrel refurbish, part 2.

An update to my barrel refurbish project.

Using my drill and a wire wheel I removed all loose rust on the hoops. Then I masked off the barrel and sprayed the hoops first with a rust reformer primer paint then 2 coats of black "hammered texture" paint.

Here is a photo of the barrel after applying masking and painting the hoops:


And here it is after removing the masking.


Two things to note.
1. At the time of these pictures the bottom 3 hoops were still original rust. I have since processed those three as well.
2. Look at the area between hoops 2 and 3 where it appears to have a nice golden brown color. That was a test area for the stain and finish I will be applying. Before long the entire barrel will look like that.

Remaining:
1. Apply stain and finish to the wood
2. Remove the top
3. Add casters to the bottom for portability (actually I will make a rolling base that will fit in the recess at the bottom)
4. Clean the inside because it will probably smell like a distillery for a little while
5. Let it air out for awhile before putting it into use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home