Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A night at the opera

For those of you interested in my mom's take on the opera, she had a great time and tried to comment on it, but messed it up. So I will sum up here for the both of us.


On Friday I took my mom, 74 years old, to her FIRST opera..."Cosi Fan Tutte" by Mozart. What a fabulous production.

The staging, lighting, orchestra, and cast were all TOP NOTCH. Of particular note were soprano Karin Wolverton who played the role of "Fiordiligi" and Mezzo-sporano Janine Hawley who played "Dorabella". Wolverton had the best scored arias and Hawley had the most opportunity to ham it up for comedy.

The part of "Don Alfonso" was played by Stephen Eisenhard. During some of his parts I was reminded of a DVD of Donizetti's "L'elisir d'Amore" that I watched not long ago, and the role of "Dulcamara". I said to my mom that I thought he would make an excellent Dulcamara. Well, looking at his bio-information in the program I found that he has indeed played Dulcamara. Hopefully they will bring that here one day with him in the role.

Next season (October 2007) will bring Giuseppe Verdi's (Joe Green to you) "La Traviata", "Amahl and the Night Visitors" in December (If you've seen [Don Giovanni] "Juan" you've seen Amahl), and in March of 2008 will be Strauss's "Die Fledermaus" !! Yippee!

5 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, March 27, 2007, Blogger Mandi said...

Glad y'all had a great time!

 
At 4:08 PM, March 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think you slipped the Amahl past me. I recognised that old joke. Will Pat be travelling there for the next Opera?

 
At 12:50 AM, March 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your kind words about the show and especially my wife’s performance. (Karin Wolverton)
I am so glad you and your mother enjoyed the show. Hopefully we will be back for another production in the near future. We loved visiting your city and your people!

Chris

 
At 1:34 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Sean M. said...

I didn't fall for that old joke either, but then again, I did learn it from a CLEVER person...

Glad you enjoyed yourself at the opera. I will be going to a performance of my own on Friday, but this will be a play put on by the University. Part of my English class is to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and write a review paper. Why we are still going over MSND is beyond me, but obviously I must oblige.

 
At 3:36 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger marty said...

I’m not much of an opera fan. Too much emphasis placed on ‘production values.’ I prefer oratorios. That being said, it’s hard to imagine a more thrilling experience than a well staged Wagnerian epic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home