Monday, April 09, 2007

Vile WEED !

OK, I got my annual poison ivy rash !! I didn't SEE any growing where I was working but it sure saw me. I read that if you wash thoroughly within 4 hours of exposure then you should not get a breakout. Well, I did ! I must be really sensitive to it.

Out in my backyard there is an area that is not landscaped and full of natural growth. Last year I cleared a pretty good sized area and just mowed over it each time I cut the grass. Now that looks just fine but I want to clear the whole thing. A couple of weeks ago a tree fell in the area I wanted to clean up, so it was more work than I had planned on. The tree brought down a lot of vines (and some of that must be the vile weed). So I've spent an hour here and there working on clearing the weeds and cutting up the tree.


Here is about 36 feet of tree, cut into 6 foot sections and placed by a trailer. Should make good firewood for next year.


Armed with chainsaw, rakes, and metal blade on the string trimmer I cleared out a pretty sizeable section yesterday. It isn't quite done but close. You can see where the tree came from and I want to remove that stump and everything to the left. The distance between the two trees is about 15 feet and the newly cleared area is about 30x30 feet.


The burn pile is large and the picture doesn't do it justice. It is about 10 feet in diameter and over my head. See all the dark green stuff in the background? That's what the newly cleared area looked like.

6 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger cheryl said...

Wow, quite some clearing. That'll give you more mowing room.

 
At 4:05 PM, April 13, 2007, Blogger Monica said...

Too much work for me. Hey, I see you have posted a new picture on your profile. John Pierre looks quite a bit older than the other picture. How old is he now?

 
At 4:58 PM, April 13, 2007, Blogger Tim B. said...

JP is 11 in that picture, which was in November of 2006. He turned 12 in January. He looked a little goofy there but I now have a similar picture that was much better. Will post that soon.

 
At 6:54 PM, April 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I did not know better I woulld say you lived in the middle of a state park. There is a lot of green showing. I did not see any poison ivy, must be hiding behind the trees.

 
At 12:38 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Sean M. said...

Ahh, the vile weed. Luckily for me, I don't have a reaction to the poison. Always been that way. We always had poison ivy in our back yard, and my dad and I were the only ones who could handle it without getting all itchy.

BTW, my Botany professor last semester showed us an article about poison ivy from a scientific journal. Did you know that Global Warming (yep, it's everywhere) causes the poison in the poison ivy to be worse? It has to do with CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, and plants like poison ivy love it (even more than other plants). The poison is actually a defense mechanism, and the increased CO2 concentrations apparently make them more defensive.

 
At 3:37 PM, April 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just find them very offensive. I don't know what a plant would need to be defensive about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home