Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Part 3: Sculpting

Haven't had any time for actual carving, but I was able to obtain some pictures from a nice guy on the web who has one of the mugs that is my inspiration. He provided me with 8 shots of the mug, rotated 1/8 turn each with the camera on a tripod. So I have a perfect starting point. For now I have put grids on the 4 that I think are most critical. But I will print out all 8 for reference when I start the real work.


Also I still want to get the Moai mug on Ebay. I think I still have the bid. More practice to come soon, hopefully.

3 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, September 11, 2007, Blogger cheryl said...

! cool ! I can't wait to see it started. I think it would look great as a table base. And maybe a few practice ones around the yard as yard art.

 
At 4:36 PM, September 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure Michaelangelo started with grid lines?

 
At 1:52 PM, September 21, 2007, Blogger Tim B. said...

Michelangelo MAY have started that way, but who knows. Certainly at a later age he didn’t need it anymore.

When I went to Florence Italy I visited his sculpture of “David” in a building called the Academia. In a hallway on the approach to David there are “unfinished” sculptures that he did as well. They are referred to as “captives” because they look like figures encased in marble, trying to escape from the marble. It is pretty clear that he envisioned just “removing the marble from around what is already inside” and there would be no need for any helper lines.

In another room, adjacent to the David statue there were some other unfinished sculptures by some students of some school (not sure). One of the things that struck me was how blocks of marble had nails pounded into them at different depths. These were reference points and the artist could sculpt a particular area of the block down to that depth. So, the nails were 3 dimensional aids. I thought that was very interesting.

It would be sort of like those coffee table conversation pieces that are a bunch of pins. You press your hand into it and it sets the pins to the shape of your hand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home