Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Hello bloggers!

Howdy,

Been awhile since my last blog post. I have some bad news, some indifferent news, and some good news.

Bad news:
On April 22, I was laid off after 21 years of continuous employment. Company downsizing. Weak economy. Who knows what else goes into those decisions.

Indifferent news:
I'm searching for a new position. It is a pain because opportunities are few and far between, and hardly anyone gives you the courtesy of acknowledging your resume and/or telling you whether you are turned down. So it is a lot of looking, applying, and waiting. There MAY be something positive later this week, though.

Good news:
1. I took and passed 2 online programming courses. The first was in Java and the second was Perl. These two are used a lot these days and I felt that everything I used for 21 years was mostly stone age. So, to get a new position I needed to become more current.
2. On August 30, I did my final test to earn third degree black belt. It was a grueling test but I did very well. Will receive the belt in December.
3. To get real (non-classroom) experience using Perl and Java, I started writing a program that I call a "blog agent". It will be done in 2 phases and phase 1 is complete.


The blog agent:

If you are like me, you want to keep up with what a lot of people write in their blogs, so you bookmark all your favorite ones and visit them once a day, or every couple of days. If there is nothing new, you go to the next one. Just calling up the web site and scanning manually uses up time. And if there IS indeed nothing new, it is basically wasted time. So, the agent will do all that scanning for me (and perhaps you some day).

Phase 1:

I built a list of my favorite blog sites, keeping the URL, the last read post date, and the last read post title. The program reads the file and builds a table of your blog URLs. Then, for each, it retrieves the web page and finds the most recent blog date and blog title. It compares those to what you have saved. If either the date or title is different, you get a notice, meaning that you should go read that blog.

example:

My test list currently looks like this:

[http://patfixer.blogspot.com/] [Sunday, January 27, 2008] [The Valance]
[http://marcelymca.blogspot.com/] [Tuesday, August 26, 2008] [Weather]
[http://chusbands.blogspot.com/] [Friday, July 11, 2008] [WORK]
[http://jgbeau.blogspot.com/] [?] [?]

the individual fields are bracketed.

The output after running the agent looks like this:

[http://patfixer.blogspot.com/] DATESAME TITLESAME
[http://marcelymca.blogspot.com/] DATEDIFF TITLEDIFF <=== go read this one.
[http://chusbands.blogspot.com/] DATESAME TITLESAME
[http://jgbeau.blogspot.com/] DATEDIFF TITLEDIFF <=== go read this one.



So, as you can see, in this list of 4 blogs, I only should go out and read 2 of them.


Phase 2 is yet to be written, but I want to add interactivity. I intend to present the list as a table of links (and the indicator of which ones should be read). Then, to read a blog, you'd just click on the link and it would show. After you read it and browse back to the table, I want to have a button that you click on to indicate that you have just read the blog. When you do that, it will use the most recent date and title of the blog post, and will overlay the old info in the save file. That way, the NEXT time you run the agent it will do it's work against the items that you have "told it" that you have already read.

At first I wrote this with Perl, but I think the interactivity will be better with Java, because I can get it to run in a browser window by making it a thing called and "applet". We played with applets in the class that I took.

So, now that Phase 1 is complete I can start on Phase 2.

Will put up another post soon on the trials and tribulations of job searching.

So long for now.

5 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, September 10, 2008, Blogger EZ Travel said...

Is this your subtle way of telling your mom and Cheryl to update?

I am sorry to hear about the job situation. That really sucks. I hope something better comes along soon.

I remember learning to do very simple UNIX coding when I was at Caltech. I wrote a program that would tell me the time when I typed "TIME." Very exciting! I have forgotten all of it.

 
At 4:41 PM, September 11, 2008, Blogger KathrynVH said...

Sorry about your job. Last week I heard about a new programing language that they are teaching at the high school after school ROP called Alice. I have no idea if that's how it is spelled, but they said it was supposed to be much simplier and easy to use. Maybe it's the new cutting edge--you will know better than I. As to your program--Adrienne did that on my computer at home--it actually tells me when someone updates their blog. Best wishes.

P.S. If you have frequent flyer miles and you want a change of scenery, we'd love to have a visit from someone as handy around the house as you.

 
At 8:06 PM, September 12, 2008, Blogger Marcel said...

This blog was along time in coming. Don't keep us waiting like this again.

Learning new things and understanding professional competition are the upside of losing a job. When you are through this period you will look back and see how it was a blessing.

 
At 6:47 PM, September 13, 2008, Blogger Gretchen said...

Sorry about the job situation. Looking for a job is so much harder than going to work everyday. I hated the lack of response to resume and even interviews.

Glad my blog didn't make your list.

 
At 9:12 AM, September 15, 2008, Blogger Tim B. said...

All: I never know if comments are hypothetical or not. Here are some followup comments or answers.

Erika: Stick to your regular job. If you have forgotten what a "TIME" command does.... :-)

Kathy: Thanks! I have heard of Alice and I believe that it is used in producing games. I also know there are other blog agents out there, but wanted to roll my own because I must become current with my programming. Do you like the one you have? And when mine is done would you be interested in trying it out?

Dad: Absolutely right. When I had a job there was no time to learn new things.

Gretchen: Wow, you touched on my pet peeve too...not hearing back from applications and resumes. Where is the common courtesy? The list of blogs I showed is a sampling so that I could have some test data. When the program is running I will add to the list and your blog WILL be in there. No need to test a program with all the data while the program is in development.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home