Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Gardening season commences.

I spent the weekend working outside, with appropriate naps and book reading.

Leading up to my house from the driveway to the front door is a sidewalk that is about 40 feet long and near the front door it curves 90 degrees. More than 10 years ago I put in plants on both sides of this and appropriate borders to hold mulch within the areas. Every year we added mulch and weeded and it looked really nice and has matured. The borders were little dog-eared pieces of wood strung together with wire and set slightly into the ground. Now I look at it and see it has deteriorated quite a bit.

So, starting on one side of the walkway I worked my way down from the front door to the driveway, removing the wood, pulling weeds, mulching, and installing red colored "scalloped" concrete borders. You know these. People put them in landscapes all the time. Putting in the borders is easy enough and I could have easily done it all in 1 day. But the pulling of weeds and making it all look nice takes a long time. So, I haven't even finished 1 side of the walkway yet. In fact, I am about 2/3rds done with 1 side.

When I step back and look I am very proud of this job. I am not normally into gardening, but this is a job I can do sitting down and at a leisurely pace. It's going to rain for a few days, so next I will go back to inside work for a while.

Also, I did a little beginning of season lawnmower maintenance (riding mower) and cut the grass. This normally takes about 45 minutes. But the first mowing requires a lot of stopping and starting because there are a lot of sticks to pick up. I try to get them all up a week or two ahead, but there always seem to be some missed.

AND, the weather was so nice that I got to drive my "nice weather" Jeep. This is a 1979 CJ7 that only has a bikini top, so it can't keep out cold and rain. It stays in the garage until the weather is nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home