Wednesday, June 01, 2005

1 step back for 2 forward

Sometimes you gotta take a step backward in order to take 2 forward. When I look at the room I just painted it looks nice at a casual glance. But when I look at the baseboards I am not happy. Generally, you paint the wall, then the baseboards, then caulk between. But this is paint over paint. I'm not happy with the lack of crispness between the wall and baseboard. And trying to touch it up was a disaster because the caulk joint prohibits putting a straightedge in place at just the right angle.

So, now I am removing the caulk. It is not difficult, but it causes a problem. Paint peels away from the wall because it had solidified over the caulk. As I pull the caulk away it is making the bottom 1-2 inches of wall look like crap. But it comes off, and that is what's important. Touch up paint will be easy once this is done, and recaulking will make it all look PERFECT.

The thing I don't like is having to sit and bend over to do this. After an hour my back was sore, and I was only about 1/3rd done. I figure 2 more evenings of caulk removal, 2 evenings of touch up painting, and 1 evening of recaulking. Then the room will be DONE!

Don't call me a perfectionist, though. There are other things that could be done if I wanted to be really picky. But after this the room will look very very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home