Saturday, August 27, 2005

Floor fix

Just a couple pictures to show how the floor was fixed.
Recall this image of the problem.


The problem was that the quarter section of parquet floor slipped out of alignment before the glue dried, leaving an unsightly gap.

Using a Dremel, chisels, and patience I first carefully removed the quarter section and scraped out the glue residue. I had to make sure not to damage any surrounding wood. Then, I modified a replacement quarter section by chiseling off the interlocking tongues and the bottom half of the interlocking mortise.


I applied some adhesive, laid it in place, and taped it to the other part of the floor until the adhesive set. Next day I removed the tape. Problem solved.


All that's left is to install the shoe molding to completely finish off the floor. The fix went so well that I did another, afterward, in the master bedroom. That fix was for about a quarter of a quarter section. Involved more patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home