Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I'm in a "transitional" phase.

Now that the bedrooms are done, I'm working on "transition strips" for the wood floors. They are for:
  1. The transition between the master bedroom and master bathroom.
  2. An "end strip" to tidy up where the bedroom floor ends at the door to the balcony.
  3. The transition between the hallway and hall bathroom.



One can buy stuff like this at Lowe's. I am not that "one." Instead, I am using wood from an oak that I cut down years ago. I'm nearly finished with item 1 and 2 above. I milled the oak so that it is finished on all 4 sides. Then cut to rough size, then planed and jointed all the edges. Then, I beveled the top edges with a router in a table. I drilled and countersunk where the screws will go. Then sanded and stained. Next I will finish with polyurethane and install them.

Here is item number 1.
Before:

After:


Here is item number 2.
Before (note the ragged edge of the parquet floor):

After (edge tidied up):


Item 3 will take a little more custom work than the first 2. And I intend to take a few more pictures to show the detailed steps.

This is all being done concurrent with the strip tease (see below).

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is fascinating Tim. Thank you for telling me... I will pop in to check how you are doing .... Are you going to the occasional opera this coming season?

 
At 5:08 PM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim:

That stipping will certainly give the floors a finished look. I like it.

Hope you had a good weekend with JP.

Love,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home