Friday, October 21, 2005

"Fix" just keep getting harder to find.

Within the past few weeks I think I have run out of things that need fixing.

1. My Dremel came back from the repair shop. It was under warranty, works great, and they even sent me a brand new wire wheel attachment for it. Cost about 6 bucks to send it for repair.

2. My logsplitter was leaking hydraulic fluid at the cylinder. Took it to a machine shop and they replaced all the seals and o-rings, and replaced all the fluid. Cost $210. A bit pricey, but this machine has worked flawlessly for years, and I have split and sold enough firewood to pay for it two times over. The mechanic told me he had never seen one in such good condition.

3. Battery in my work van. Dead, kaput. Took me two trips to the auto parts store. The first one I had to buy a special wrench for removing the terminals from a "side mount" battery (Thanks GM!). The second one was to buy the new battery. Total cost, about $70 for battery and wrench. Got it home, used the Dremel and a wire wheel to buff the battery cable terminals, applied the little bit of dielectric grease, and hooked it up. A thing of beauty...no problems whatsoever. Not even a dropped wrench or busted knuckle.

4. Fixed a faulty wire connection to the phone in my office. Started off in the attic. Cut and stripped the ends of the wires, and reinstalled them on the jack. Nope! Came back to the office and took off the wall plate. Cut and stripped the ends of the wires and reinstalled them on the jack. Worked !!

5. Fixed the flex duct for the master bath fan. It had slipped off a connector. I had a guy install it maybe a year ago. Looked to me like he skimped on the duct tape. I didn't. That thing may NEVER let go now.

For now I can't think of anything else (mechanical) I own that needs repair. Of course, there's always home improvement projects, but nothing needing repair.

3 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, October 21, 2005, Blogger Sean M. said...

Wow, sounds like you have been busy! I personally think it would be fun to make improvements on one's home, but then again, I don't have one of my own! I guess I'll find out in the future!

Anyway, sounds like everything's going great. Talk to you later!

Sean

 
At 2:23 PM, October 22, 2005, Blogger EZ Travel said...

I love the "don't scrimp on the duct tape" line, since that is my version of home repair. We just duct taped a piece back on one on Jackson's toys; worked like a charm.

I remember the one time I did try some home repair (well mom's home), I had you on Instant Messenger and my Dad on the phone. It is handy to have handy people in your life when you are not so handy.

 
At 5:20 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger Adrienne said...

Next time your in California, I got a list a mile long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home