Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Bamboo Fountain

My son JP was with me for a 3 day weekend. He was excited about making the bamboo fountain. I had a nice section of bamboo which we cut into 3 parts...a miter on each end and a flat on the other. This was done so that a little spout could be inserted into 2 of the tubes just above a septum. A septum is inside the bamboo at the location where you see the "joint" or ring around the outside of the tube. In essence the septum holds water like a drinking glass. I used this to my advantage so water can cascade from one "drinking glass" to another.

I drilled holes and inserted 2 small pieces as spouts. Then I punched holes into the septums so that water can drain when the pump is off. I ran a clear tube up the tallest piece and hooked it up to the pump. Finally, silicone caulk was added in a couple of places to make the flow just right.

In the future I am going to make a barrel to conceal the drywall bucket, and add some fake plants. But for now we have a working fountain. Oh, it sounds great and we even have a remote control to operate it. JP can lay in his bed and press the button, which I Velcro'ed to the wall.

5 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, April 17, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

I love the sound of water. I have a little desktop fountain that I don't turn on anymore with Jackson around. But eventually he will grow up and I will let him make me a bamboo fountain. He favorite second-cousin Tim can help him.

 
At 5:33 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Gretchen said...

OMG - I think I understand how you did that. Not that I think for a minute I could do it, but I understand.

 
At 7:39 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Adrienne said...

I have an empty corner in my new office that would fit that nicely.

 
At 9:25 PM, April 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure that you do not want to get a television job as another Mr. Wizard?

 
At 11:34 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Sean M. said...

Very cool! I really do like water features; they truly are relaxing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home