Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Duct progress

Yesterday my son helped me work on the duct for the dust collector. My only goal for the day was get the hanging ropes in place. It was very hot in the shop, so we didn't want to be out there very long.

The duct will be suspended from the ceiling, but it runs diagonally, so I needed to put an "eye screw" in several roof trusses, in line with the dust collector inlet. The simplest way, I found, was to slip together some straight pieces making a 10 foot run, having my son hold up one end and propping the other end on a ladder. Then I used a plumb line to transfer and mark the center of this temporary duct on each truss. It was then a simple matter to drill, screw in the eyes, and fashion some ropes to hang the temporary duct.

Today we worked on replacing the temporary duct with shorter lengths of pipe and "Y" connectors to go to the various machines. The ropes have been adjusted and the main trunk line is all in place. I realized that I changed my mind from when I made the diagram, so I ended up short by 6 connectors. We placed an order for those and they will be here in a day or two.

Once that is all done the pieces will be cleaned, screwed together, and made air tight with caulk. Then I need to install the filters, have the unit wired, get flexible duct, fashion the dust bin, and on and on. This is a big project but has already come a long way.

Pics soon.

2 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

You are so inventive. Can you tell me how to tighten back up the toilet paper holder back onto the wall? (Only 1 side is loose)?? How this happened, I have no idea. I'm afraid to pull it completely away from the wall to see what's going on in there for fear that I can't get it back in.

 
At 8:26 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Tim, OK. I think I fixed it. There's a little teeny, tiny screw on the underside of the plate that holds the roller in place against the wall. I turned it with my teeny tiny screwdriver;it wouldn't get real tight, but it's tighter than when I started. I just hope it holds. If your duct work is to automatically suck up dust from your workshop, you should patent it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home