Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Five minutes would have made a difference

I used to cut down a lot of trees and would burn off the debris often, but hadn't done that for a couple of years. There was a large pile remaining and everything was decaying and moist and covered with weeds. So over the past weeks I have worked on this little by little. The weedy cover was easy to burn off with kerosene. That allowed me to get to the more dry stuff on top, which was piled and burned ok. Then I raked stuff out into sunlight for a couple days and would pile and burn that. Finally I got to a point where it was easiest to put the remainder in a wheelbarrow and take it up to the street where we have yard waste collection. A couple of wheelbarrows full would not be a problem, but I didn't want to do that a couple dozen times.

Yesterday was hot and muggy. I took a full load up to the street. Now what is left would not even fill the wheelbarrow. It would have taken me about 5 minutes to finish that, but rain was coming. This morning I looked out and the city came and took away the yard waste. If I had taken the 5 minutes the entire pile would be gone.

After some more raking and shovelling of ashes there will certainly be some more stuff to collect, but the area is almost ready to store my trailers. I wish I had before pictures.

For a couple of days I've been thinking about the bamboo bed I want to make for JP's room. The design is nice and looks simple enough, but I didn't have enough of the bamboo that was needed. So I went to the bamboo lot and brought home 5 poles that are 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter and 9 feet long. They will make the long rails and some of the short rails that connect the 4 corner posts. Now they need to dry and I'm going to try something to see if I can keep them from splitting as they dry.

This isn't my design and I hope that the person that I copied this from won't mind...not that I'm going to profit from selling his design...just making one for myself. Wish I had measurements. When ready I will simply take a mattress downstairs and use that as a template to make the support system to the correct size. Then I'll make the headboard and footboard, then connect it all together.

8 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger KathrynVH said...

I've been there many times--I'm always much happier if I put in the extra five minutes. But it is so easy to sit down given half a chance.

What are the caps on the bed frame? That looks like it should be easy to replicate, but I know that it is not. For you, maybe it is.

 
At 8:12 AM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

Howdy,

What I think you mean by "caps" is the ends of the upright posts that make up the headboard and footboard, right? Well, those aren't caps. The posts were cut so that the tops are right above a joint. And inside of a joint there is a stiff membrane called a septum. If that were knocked out then there would be a hollow space down to the next joint and septum. The bed looks much better with the membrane at the top of the posts rather than a hollow space. And it is functional too. If it were hollow then a kid would fool around and lose things in there, which would require a stick with some tape wadded up on the end to retrieve.

If you click on the picture you get a bigger view, and maybe then it would be clear.

 
At 8:59 AM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Mandi said...

The bed looks fantastic! Has JP seen it yet?

 
At 10:36 AM, July 06, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

Are those corner posts something other than bamboo. Surely bamboo doesn't grow that big.

 
At 11:18 AM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

It's bamboo alright.
There is a variety called "moso" (easily found with Google) that grows up to 8 inches in diameter.

 
At 1:14 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger KathrynVH said...

membrane, septum, you're making that up.

 
At 1:31 PM, July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool. I like the looks of this bed. Could you do a chair also? It could be fit with cushions.

 
At 2:48 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

Yes indeed, a chair could be done and fitted with cushions. But I have a different idea.

Someone gave me a rope hammock chair. I want to make a bamboo arbor to hang the rope hammock chair. I have the picture in my head and sketched on a little sheet of paper. Sooner or later it will be done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home