Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Various

Sometimes a solution to a problem is so simple that it is easy to overlook or ignore.
I have a riding lawnmower. Every now and then the blades need changing. The manual calls for removing the mowing deck, sliding it out from under the "tractor", changing the blades, then reinstalling. That procedure is a royal pain and a dirty mess. So I have long wanted a better way. I tried putting the ramps on my trailer, driving the mower part way up, and sliding under to change the blades. This worked better, but there wasn't much clearance for me to get under. At least it improved the process. What I WANTED was a pit to get completely under the mower, like they have at "Jiffy Lube" stores for your car. I mentioned this to a neighbor and he said he just jacks up the front end of his mower with an automotive jack. Indeed, I had THOUGHT of that but RATIONALIZED that there wouldn't be enough clearance.

Well, in PRACTICE it worked VERY well when I tried it. Took only a few minutes and I had enough clearance to get to the blades from the side.

TKD Pros and cons:
I like going to Tae Kwon Do because it is good exercise and I get to help others learn. Every 4 months they hold a test for people who will earn the black belt. At our school a person testing for black belt must obtain two letters of recommendation. One from a junior belt and one from a senior belt. I am one of the most senior belts there, so I am OFTEN asked to write these letters. Lately, though, parents of younger kids have been asking me. I don't watch their kids every class, so it is becoming a hassle to make a good recommendation. I think that if I want to avoid this I need to remember that around testing time, if someone approaches me, try to get away before being roped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home