Tuesday, August 22, 2006

And I only cut myself once!

Last night I worked on modifying the lid of the metal garbage can, for the dust collection system, to accept the short piece of flexible hose. I've never done any sheet metal fabrication and really thought this would be a big challenge. but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I wish that I had a better pair of "tin snips" but I made do.

First, using a Dremel, I cut off the handle on the lid. I needed a hole that was 6 inches in diameter but it had to have bent tabs that formed a collar. The tabs are 1/4 inch long and when bent up their bases form the 6 inch circle. So I drew two circles with a compass...one with a 3 inch radius and the other with a 2.75 inch radius, using the same center point. I then cut out the inner circle. Then I cut slits that formed the tabs and used pliers to bend them up, forming the collar. That defined "part A".

For "part B" I took a 6 inch "snap lock" pipe (this is commonly used in heating and air conditioning systems) and cut off a piece about 4 inches long. From one end I measured and drew a line 1 inch from the edge. This piece was to have 1 inch tabs. Then I cut slits defining the tabs and bent them to the line.

Finally I inserted part B into part A and tapped on the tabs to make a good mechanical connection. I still need to add some screws and then caulk to make it air tight. I then attached the short 6 inch diameter flexible hose to the trash can lid and the bottom of the cyclone. I installed the hose clamps, but only temporarily, just to test removing and installing the can. The setup works perfectly!

Shown from inside the lid, Part A is the lid, part B is inserted and has the 1 inch tabs.


Shown from outside the lid, Part B comes through and the lid has small tabs.


The lid connected to the cyclone with the short flex hose and two clamps.


The dust bin in place.

3 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, August 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dust bin looks very good, is that blood I see in the picture? Where and how did you cut yourself. Hope you have had your tetanus shot.

 
At 11:18 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

No, there's no blood in any of the pictures. What I think you are seeing is some orange paint, in the first picture. The lid is sitting on a stool that I got somewhere. On top of that stool is an orange "paw print" which is the symbol for Clemson University. I bought it because it was a good price, not because I am a fan.

The cut was very minor. Not worse than most paper cuts.

 
At 11:04 AM, August 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear it was only minor, I remember all the other times you got hurt and can't get those times out of my mind. Guess that's the mother in me. You'll always be my kid. I think you are very gifted. I love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home