Friday, August 18, 2006

Dust collector and duct pictures

Well, here are some pictures of what I have been working on.

First the dust collection unit itself. It is called a "cyclone". The powerful fan on top sucks dust in to the port on the upper left (where the ductwork hooks up). The dust enters the unit and has to spiral downward, losing velocity. The heaveiest particles will drop into the collection bin (metal can at the bottom). Smaller particles will go UP the pipe that is inside and be exhausted at the upper right where they will be blown into filters, which I have not hooked up yet. This is all tough clear plastic so one can be mesmerized by the action...it LOOKS like a tornado when the dust is being collected.


This next photo shows the trunk line of the ductwork. It has to be straight in line with the input port on the cyclone unit and continue the gradual upward slope. I have suspended it from the ceiling by ropes, which I can easily adjust as needed.


I currently have plans for 4 branches off the trunk line and the trunk will end at the lathe so there will be 5 main inputs to the system. This is the first, going to the tool that is an interchangeable bandsaw and edge jointer. It is a good idea not to put in short radius 90 degree bends, so I split that up into two 45 degree bends. Now the pipe needs to be reduced in diameter to hook up to the tools.


As you can see here the trunk is aimed at the lathe. Some flexible duct will be hooked up and service the lathe. Also you can see here that there is a branch aimed at the center of the shop behind the table saw. That will service the tablesaw, thickness planer, and eventually a router table/cabinet that I will build one day.


What you may not see clearly is that every branch has a shutoff mechanism made of clear plastic, called a "blast gate". You only need to collect from the tool being used and shutting off all the others improves the suction at the tool in use.

Once the system is in place I need to customize the hookup to each tool. Some manufacturers provide ports for this. For instance, the maker of my thickness planer supplies a "dust collector hood". This has a port for hooking up a dust collector. That port is 4 inches and my trunk and branches are 6 inches. So I need to add a reducing coupler and a little flex hose for that tool. The tablesaw does not have a port...dust just falls out the bottom. So I need to build a housing with a port on it. Hooking up each tool will be a challenge, but those are the two I use most frequently and they make the biggest messes to clean up so I will start with those and gradually work on the others. That's the nice thing about a system like this...it is expandable.

1 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, August 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the extent you will go just so the chores of dusting and sweeping are eliminated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home