Monday, August 21, 2006

Ductwork almost ready

I am very close to having the ductwork ready for the dust collector.

Over the weekend I bought some pieces that have 4 inch connectors, for adding dust collection ability to the table saw, and today I did MOST of the work of adding the pieces to the tablesaw. Just one more part to simply bolt in place, but if I do that now then I can't use the tablesaw before the main DC unit is ready. So I will finish the main unit first. The thickness planer already has a 4 inch port.

Also today, I received the transition pieces to reduce the 6 inch main duct down to 4 inches.

Over the next few days I need to:

  • drill some holes for screws,
  • clean the duct pieces,
  • screw them together,
  • caulk the joints,
  • prepare the steel trash can to collect the chips,
  • and install the filters.

I also need to have the unit wired which can be done any time. It would be great to have a remote control that can clip on my belt which will start and stop the unit from anywhere in the shop, but that may have to wait a month or two. The electrician can install an on/off switch, which can stay in place even when the remote control device is added. That will be a minor inconvenience but only for a short time.

Looking forward to having it operational, probably in a few more evenings over 2 weeks. When it is done the very next thing that should be done is to vacuum the whole shop. There is a fine layer of dust all over and that is very unhealthy to try to sweep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home