Monday, January 01, 2007

Barrel refurbish complete

I completed the barrel refurbishing project by applying the stain to the remainder of the staves and then removing the top. To remove the top I drilled a series of strategically placed holes and connected them with a jigsaw. Then pounded out the pieces with a hammer. The wood was found to be thicker than I anticipated...more on that shortly.

It reeked of whiskey but I filled it with firewood anyway. That cut down the smell to a tolerable level so I put it to immediate use. This evening I lit a fire and started working off the contents of the barrel.



As it empties the smell gets stronger, and that will hopefully dissipate on its own.

When the barrel is empty I am going to eliminate the rolling base and fasten the casters directly to the bottom of the barrel. The thickness of the removed end convinced me that the casters will work well when directly fastened and it should eliminate the wobbly nature that it currently has.

All in all, a simple project that was accomplished in a leisurely manner. And I'm pleased with the results. As time goes on I may wipe on more of the stain and finish, but that is no trouble at all.

What do you think of the picture above?

3 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, January 04, 2007, Blogger cheryl said...

Is this going to be the next Christmas present? I'm in line if they are. You should see if they have smaller barrels to fit around that 5 gal paint drum.

 
At 11:19 PM, January 04, 2007, Blogger Tim B. said...

A smaller barrel certainly exists like you mentioned, but would not be used in making whiskey, so there wouldn't be as much turnover nor would it be as cheap. BUT, I have a woodworking plan to make a barrel of appropriate size. It's just a matter of getting enough workshop time and a lack of other projects. Low priority. And mom has mentioned that she may have found an appropriate basket that would conceal a drywall bucket. Just needed to check it against the measurements I gave her.

No, refurbished whiskey barrels will NOT be the next Christmas present (takes too much wrapping paper). BUT, if you really want one (WHY?) come on by. We can go get one and I'll show you how to do it. It wasn't hard at all. I took my time but it could be accomplished in a couple afternoons.

I have selected what I will be doing for next Christmas though and think everyone will like it (them?) as much as the pens.

 
At 11:01 AM, January 06, 2007, Blogger Marcel said...

That whisky smell has a half-life of 20 years so it will be smelling like that for a long time. Having Cheryl come over for a few days and make her own barrel sounds like a good idea. But who would take care of Magnum?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home