Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pretty tools and boxes, Part 3

Continuing the saga.

I'm making 3 boxes, so I turned 3 "stencils" into 3 "trays" by gluing a piece of plywood to the bottom. It doesn't matter what this all looks like right now because it will be covered with flocking (received the Kelly Green flocking stuff and I think it's going to look nice). Also, I realized that the "chipout" of the plywood can be fixed with Bondo, ground, and sanded....since it's going to be covered up with flocking.

Next is to make the boxes, which will be made like a sandwich. I'm going to start with the filler and then work on the bread. The filler is 4 pieces of wood glued up into a rectangle. I want this to be just a little thicker than the thickness of the "tray" and the thickest tool, which is the tape measure. I started with 2 inches but will reduce that down later. All of the wood is rough cut, air dried lumber. There are many steps in rough cutting, planing, truing, etc until it is useable, and all of this is repeated for the 12 pieces for the 3 boxes.


All parts are milled down to 1/2 inch for lightness, then cut to size and glued into the rectangle.


Then the tray is cut to fit into the box and fastened in place.



Next I milled the wood to be used as the "bread" (top and bottom). These have been glued up into small panels and now I have to cut them to size.


After these are glued on the boxes will look rather like cigar boxes that cannot be opened. They will be passed through the saw on all 4 edges to separate them into box tops and bottoms.

More to come.

4 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, June 22, 2007, Blogger John Beauregard said...

Tim,
What are these going to be used for? I cannot find the original "Pretty tools and boxes" posting.

I am stripping and repairing the roof trim board on the front (south side) of our house. The cracks and rot are so severe I decided to use Bondo rather than plain wood filler. I find that after mixing as fast as I can I only get about 1 or 2 minutes of working time. Is that normal or do you think it is because I am always working in the sun?

 
At 2:31 PM, June 22, 2007, Blogger Tim B. said...

Howdy,
I have an alternate blog for woodworking projects and don't always keep things there. The first Pretty tools post is at:
http://treebeau2.blogspot.com/

The followup is at:
http://treebeau.blogspot.com/2007/06/pretty-tools-and-boxes-part-2.html

And a post about Bondo use is at:
http://treebeau.blogspot.com/2007/02/im-not-wild-about-bondo.html

Yes, Bondo has very little work time. That's about all I get too. You can maybe cut down on the hardening cream a little...might tweak another minute or so out of it.

 
At 8:00 PM, June 27, 2007, Blogger marty said...

What you need for Bondo is so sort of a hod. I have found that a sheet of heavy plastic works best but other materials will do.

You plop a hunk of filler on one corner and a strip of hardener on another. Then with you spreader section off some filler and some hardener and mix.
This way you can get a feel for how much of each works best and how much you can spread in the given time.
Adjust, adjust, adjust.
It's a chemical reaction independent of the sun humidity or heat.

 
At 3:53 AM, June 28, 2007, Blogger marty said...

That should be 'hawk', not 'hod'
I have been away too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home