Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Pretty tools and boxes, Part 2

I'm finally getting started on the pretty tools project and have about a month to get it done. The boxes are gifts for friends birthdays that have already passed, but we decided to do a get-together and gift exchange on MY birthday.

The tools were found at ACE Hardware. They are sold separately, but have the same pattern. My idea was to supply a complete set to two different "girly" friends. They can choose which pattern they like. But I will also make boxes that are form fitted and lined with flocking. The boxes will be identical.

Maybe you remember this picture of the tools.


The first step was to trace the outline of the tools (onto paper) which I taped to a piece of wood. Then, using a jigsaw and Dremel I cut out the shapes, making a template. This will allow me to make as many "inner forms" as I want, and I can save the template if I ever want to do this in the future.


I wasn't happy with this as an inner form because pieces of plywood got chipped off, but it can be used as a marking template for other inner forms. In fact, I have already traced the shapes from THIS template onto the other wood that SHOULD make the real inner forms (no pic). Hoping that a spiral cutting bit for the Dremel will do better cuts on the actual forms.

Note that the tools fit within their cutouts and there is a little space around them. Some of that space will be filled by the flocking. Since I have never done this before it is guesswork. They may not be completely snug when finished, but I think it will all work out ok.


After the inner forms are cut I will glue a thin piece of plywood to the backs to turn these form fitted "stencils" into form fitted "trays" which will hold the flocking on the sides and bottom. Then I will make the boxes, fit the "trays" into them, and add the flocking.

More soon.

6 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, June 05, 2007, Blogger cheryl said...

will your flocking be black? I think the tools would stand out real nice if the back ground color is black.

 
At 11:12 AM, June 05, 2007, Blogger paulette said...

what is that lumpy looking tool?

 
At 11:53 AM, June 05, 2007, Blogger Tim B. said...

Cheryl: No, I am going to use Kelly Green. I didn't think black looked good both patterns, but green does because they are all floral and have leaves.

Aunt P: It is a tape measure with a 10 foot tape, a little black wrist strap, and a belt clip.

 
At 12:45 PM, June 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didja know they make a 'purty' utility knife too? Thought I'd mention it in case your life isnt complicated enough just yet.

 
At 12:55 PM, June 05, 2007, Blogger cheryl said...

oh... green will work too. It will look like fresh cut grass. Can't wait to see completed pics

 
At 3:47 PM, June 05, 2007, Blogger patb said...

I think the forms and boxes will turnn out very nice.
How many more people out there can come up with some of your good ideas, and put to them work?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home