Friday, May 18, 2007

Measured once, cut twice...still too short.

I goofed in two ways, but it can be fixed.

First, here is an idea of what the slide out trash/recycling bins will look like. This is just the framework and there will be thin plywood panels separating the two bins.


Now the goofs. First, It is too wide. The width should be 1 inch less than the face frame opening so that the drawer slides can be mounted in the cabinet. I was counting on bottom mounting the slides, but bottom EDGE mounting will allow for a little more height.



Second, I hadn't counted on the back mounting board (marked with red lines) of the cabinet. The bin has to be shorter so it can slide all the way back. When it was just a "tray" there was no problem, just when it became 3 dimensional.


So, now I need to take the unit apart (thank goodness it is all screws), make some cuts, and reassemble. Second time should be a charm. And the next bin (for the spice rack, etc) will benefit from THIS mistake.

Now that I think about it, since lowering the height of the bin leaves more room at the top, I could make a slide out CUTTING BOARD to fit in that space. Good future project.

4 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, May 18, 2007, Blogger John Beauregard said...

Ask your dad about measuring twice, cut once. I recall he had new carpeting installed in their house a while back and had to trim the bottoms off all the doors because the new carpet was thicker than the old carpet. Ask him what he did to save time measuring each door individually.

 
At 9:09 AM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Tim B. said...

Was that the story where he cut the perfect amount...off the TOP of the doors? :-)

 
At 6:10 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger John Beauregard said...

YES

 
At 8:20 PM, May 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just when I thought I forgot that, you guys have to remind me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home