Monday, October 06, 2008

Hurry up and wait.

Job hunting is maddening. I find all these positions open and submit my resume. 9 times out of 10 there is NEVER a reply, even though an email address is required. I don't get why a canned response of "You do not fit our critera" would be so difficult.

Of the 1 in 10 replies, 9 out of 10 are to say that someone else has already gotten the position..."but keep searching..we may have another position you'd fit".

I find it amazing that jobs are posted, and just sit there seemingly inactive. I have seen them listed as "open until filled" and for some reason they don't call on me for an interview. How are they going to fill the job? Or why post it if it's going to sit around?

But 2 weeks ago I did have an interview with a local company. It is a job that I am certain I can do, but would need a few weeks to come up to speed for them. Two days after the interview the HR rep called me, said the manager really liked me, and sent an email with an invitation to submit an online application. One cannot get there without the interview and access codes. So that seemed like a step in the right direction. At the interview I was told that since this is their busy time, they want to fill that position quickly, but that it would take 2-3 weeks. Is that quickly? Aren't we in a technology age?

Well, something should happen pretty soon. Just a matter of what the definition of "soon" is.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, October 11, 2008, Blogger Marcel said...

Yes it is maddening how the job/resume system works. Often the first contact is made with a person that has no authority to fill the position. Sometimes the first person with whom you interview does not have the authority to hire. It is a game and you are one of the pawns in the game. Do not try to anticipate the outcome because the rules are not always made clear. The process is not logical to the person seeking the job, only to the person wanting to fill it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home