Monday, September 05, 2005

Strip "tease"

I have a 5 drawer chest of drawers that has several coats of paint. When I can I am applying chemical stripper to it, because for some reason a heat gun wasn't working. I don't like chemical strippers. They are slow and messy. But that's how it has to be this time.

So far I have removed a good deal of the paint from all 5 drawers. One of those has been followed up with a mix of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol. This is a really potent mix that requires a lot of fresh air and protective gloves. Both of those are very thin, like water, so the mixture is brushed on and around, then wiped with paper towels.

When done, I am going to glue a couple of boards on the sides of the naked chest to make the sides look like a shipping crate. Then I will stencil on FRAGILE and THIS END UP in various places. I'll probably finish it off with a gray stain to give it a weathered look.

But for now it is slow going. I am "teased" by the look of the nearly completed drawer, but I know it's going to be a while before the whole thing is done.

3 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, September 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There is no use trying, " said Alice; "one can't believe in impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ---Lewis Carroll

 
At 10:28 AM, September 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lewis Carroll passage applies to you because of you do not see anything as impossible. You dream it and you do it with great skill. You do not believe anything is impossible.

 
At 7:09 PM, September 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in you and everything you dream, because most people just think about things and don't do them, at least you find a way to make it possible. You have a great mind and you use it. Thank you God.

Love,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home