Sunday, April 23, 2006

Back from Dallas

My company sent me to Dallas/Ft. Worth to do some training. I arrived Monday morning and had time to tour. So I made my way downtown intending to see the location and museum regarding the JFK assassination. I found the museum, which is called "The Sixth Floor Museum" by asking a parking lot attendant. About a half mile walk on a warm day.

The Sixth Floor Museum IS the building that was once called the book repository, where the shooting took place. The actual corner is glassed off (like the Mona Lisa in the Louvre). The tour is self guided and you can get an audio package for an extra few dollars. When I went to Alcatraz many years ago I thought the audio tour was excellent, so I opted for the audio. This one just seemed a little disappointing. I would have been just fine doing the self guided tour.

On my way back to my car I stumbled across a place called "The Conspiracy Museum" a few blocks away. It was quite hot by then and I was hungry. I went inside and browsed the outer area a little. There were a couple of ladies there that I recognized from the Sixth Floor Museum. They were browsing too, but had a bag of gifts from the Sixth Floor Museum. I bought a bottle of water and the man who was the sales clerk seemed just a little cranky. The ladies asked him something. He seemed gruff in his answer and then they left. I did not pay for his tour because I had had enough by that time. But he said that he should just make a policy and not let let anyone in his place if they have shopping bags from "that other place...you know, the one where they LIE to you." Those were his words. I think he was trying to bait me to pay for his tour. I only asked him where I could find a decent lunch, and apologized that I was so hungry that I needed to eat before doing anything else. And that was the truth...I already had a headache.

He directed me a few blocks north and I quickly found a Tex-Mex place which I later found out was a chain...called "Chipotle." I had a HUGE burrito. It was made to fill up someone who is twice my size. And I found that in Texas I never had to ask for UNSWEET tea. That's how it comes...hooray!

So here are some pictures:

The lady straight ahead with the brown top is standing between a plaque next to the sidewalk and an X in the road. The red SUV is heading toward me. That is the route that the presidential limo took. At this point the SUV is about directly below the window where the shots were fired.


This plaque is in line with the spot in the road where JFK received his fatal head wound. Pay no attention to the shadow of that hand holding a digital camera. :-)


And this taped X in the road marks that spot. As I watched a car roll over and past this spot I found it a little surreal. Perhaps there are drivers that never give any thought to the significance of the location. But then again, it IS a road and people HAVE to get somewhere.


And here is the (in)famous grassy knoll. There's a dude up there spouting conspiracy theories at this moment...you can sort of see him in a red shirt. Click on the picture for a larger view. I'm sure it's only a coincidence that he's also SELLING magazines and DVDS supporting his theories. :-)


And here is the window where Lee Harvey Oswald supposedly shot from. ;-) Which one? Well, the hood of the white SUV is under the column of windows on the SE corner of the building. Just count up to the Sixth Floor. It is the one that does NOT have an arch at the top. If you could enhance and look into the lovely arched window to the left of that, perhaps you could see a few hundred people taking the tour.

6 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, April 23, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

Interesting tour. Thanks.

 
At 10:27 PM, April 23, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

This is a great post. I can't wait to get to Dallas and check out the Conspiracy Museum. I forwarded the link for this post to a historian friend of mine just in case he ends up in Dallas for a conference or something. This is the same friend that got Lyle and I to go to the Dan Quayle museum a few years ago, what a hoot.

 
At 12:00 AM, April 24, 2006, Blogger Adrienne said...

Very cool info. Sidenote the "Chipotle" chain is a subsudiary of McDonalds. It is very big out here (no pun intended).

 
At 4:11 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

I liked the burrito at "Chipotle" and would be game to try more of the menu. But we don't have them here. Maybe some day soon.

We do have a growing Mexican population though. But they tend to open up individual restaurants every couple of miles.

 
At 1:21 PM, April 25, 2006, Blogger Sean M. said...

I have always been intrigued by anything JFK, so this post was right up my alley. I've read so much stuff online, and we even watched that movie "JFK" in school, and it's just so interesting to me. I'm not sure if I buy into the whole conspiracy thing, but I guess when the government finally releases all that stuff in the future, I will find out.

Oh, and apparently the Chipotle restaurants are really popular here too. I've never been to one, but according to the people I've talked to, you either really like it or really hate it. Maybe I'll try it sometime, but anything that is affiliated with McDonald's kind of grosses me out.

Oh, and about the tea, I wish it was served unsweet in Tennessee! I can't stand sweet tea, and they supersaturate it with sugar. Maybe this is why Tennessee has one of the highest levels of obesity and diabetes in the country...

 
At 2:06 PM, May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim!!! nice tour through Dallas. Hope you are very well.

Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home