Monday, May 08, 2006

First Knight

Before getting to the knights, I first finished the rest of the pieces, with the completion of the Cherry Queen.

Here are all the pieces except the knights.


Then using some scrap I made a "practice" knight. This requires an "offset turning" technique which I have never tried before. It turned out ok, but I made some mistakes. I will make 1 more practice piece without applying finish to get the "kinks" out. Remember, this is LATHE work, not a carving, so it is a "stylized" piece...not a horse. Just think of how Picasso might have drawn a horse. The curve of the "neck" comes from the offset turning.


And finally, one of EACH style of piece.

3 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

Tim, I like the knight very much. The subtle curves are much more elegant than a horses head. EZ

 
At 12:34 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a sperm?

 
At 1:33 AM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Tim B. said...

So far, yes.

That was practice. Since then I have practiced once more. Then I made the first cherry one. It looks a lot less like sperm. Will post a picture soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home