Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My little hunter

For several weeks there has been a little black and white cat that I see in my yard every now and then. I like cats and don't want to scare him away. I'll go near and indicate that I'm friendly. He'll come nearer and have a chat with me, but rarely wants a petting. Then he'll walk away. He wears a flea collar so I'm pretty sure he's not a stray.

So, why does he come and spend time in my yard? I certainly don't feed him or give him water. Today I realized why. My yard is a hunting ground. I looked out the bathroom window this morning and the cat was laying in the natural area where I have noticed several holes in the ground. Also, this year I have seen an increase in chipmunks. This cat must be hunting the chipmunks. Good for him!

The chipmunks aren't really a nuisance and they're really cute. Fast little buggers too. But the holes. I'm concerned that the holes will make easy homes for yellow jackets, who make their colonies in the ground. Hopefully the size of the holes is too big for the yellow jackets liking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home