Monday, July 02, 2007

Part 5: Pretty tools and boxes

Getting really close to the end now.

All of the boxes have been cut in half, stained, and finished.


The inner trays have been shaped, cut to size, and sanded. There was still some chipout to repair. To do this I wanted to try the "Durham's Water Putty" as recommended by Uncle Marty. I found that this product was easy to use and it seems to make a good repair. Using a popsicle stick I built up the damaged areas higher than necessary then, after it dried, I ground and sanded it down as needed.
One tray before grinding/sanding:


And after:



When all the chipout is repaired the trays will be glued into the box bottoms. I'll use a silicone based adhesive to allow for seasonal movement of the wood. A small gap around the edge of the tray will be filled with more "Water Putty" so the flocking will be good around the edges.

When that is set I will mask the inner edges of the box bottoms and lids, and apply the glue and flocking. When the flocking is set up I can install the hinges and clasps and call them finished!

Should conclude with the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home