Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Whew!

Last night I finished shoveling the rocks out of the pathway and transferring them to the trenches in the gravel driveway. So, the driveway patchup is done (one job off of my big "to do" list). The pathway was bordered with some landscape timbers, which I hauled away to an area where I am keeping debris that will go to the landfill, when I have enough debris to justify a trip. Next is to get some dirt to put in place to raise the ground level to that of the surrounding area. Then till a little, sow some grass seed, and cover with straw. I "might" get a bag of concrete and try to pour a stepping stone using a hard plastic grid that is made for that task. I've had that device for a long time and never used it. Of course, I can buy a stepping stone, already made, for probably the same price, and not have to go to the trouble.

Did the weed trimming in back and noticed a lot of small holes in the backyard. They seem to all be near places that used to have tree stumps that were eventually removed and filled with dirt. I suppose it's easier to dig in the softer ground that this provided. Anyway, I do not know what creature digs these, but I DO know that if I don't take care of them, they will be perfect places for yellow jackets to set up. I think I'm going to buy a bag of sand and fill the holes using a scoop and a funnel. I think it would be difficult to stuff dirt into the holes. The earthworms will sort it all out over time.

Also, I found quite a bit of that vile weed, poison ivy. It's everywhere. Time to get a broadcast sprayer to kill it because I am very sensitive to it. Sometimes I feel that I break out just by looking at it, though I know that's not true.

For the time being, though, it's resting and reading time. Shoulders and lower back are a little sore. Don't want to overdo it and injure my back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home